Thursday, March 22, 2018

Solar Wax Melter

Our newest tool in the beekeeping kit: a solar wax melter.  I made this based on plans I found online, with some modifications of my own.   I put the finishing touches on this today and couldn't wait to try it out. 

Even though it was cold today, about 47 degrees when I set it out, I thought it might warm up enough to give me some idea of what it could do.  I left it in the sun, and when I came back 15, 20 minutes later, I opened it up, stuck my hand on the pan - and damn near burned it!  Yes, it got that hot that quick.

Naturally, I had to give it a real test.  So I put all the saved comb we had into the pan and watched carefully.  It immediately started showing signs of melting, little bits tumbling down, slumping within the pile, it was very gratifying to see.

I left it to do its thing.  When I came out a to check it a half-hour later, the clouds had rolled in and the sun was hidden.  Drat.  But I had seen enough to know that it would work, so I can't wait for a sunny day.


No comments: